Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Coming Soon....Boston Cube



I have been blogging for some time out of one of my home ports in Washington, D.C. I also spend time in Boston and on Cape Cod. Because of these geographic shifts, I recently began a blog called Boston Cube.

With Boston Cube, I intend to have it based on many of the same principles that my
Washington Cube blog possesses, which is to say I write of cultural issues, but also eclectically. I never focus on any one neighborhood or solely review music, books or restaurants, yet I may write of those things, in passing. I have had a running "cocktail of the week" idea where I create cocktails, often based on something happening the day I post on the blog: for example on Edgar Allen Poe's birthday, the "Nevermore Cocktail," would have not only a photograph of the cocktail (black, of course,) but also information on Poe woven into a rumination on the color "black," shifting into cities that Poe drifted through, his love life, my love life, men who have large skulls, or any number of things. I often use my own photography and/or photoshop art work, plus I have posted on my blog using my own drawings or paintings as illustration. I might, for example, do a take on a famous comic strip, but work in something happening in Boston at the time.

In the Washington D.C. blogging community, the writers meet on occasion for social happy hours, and once a year they have had a contest including categories for the bloggers who participate within a system similar to Universal Hub called "DC Blogs Live," with categories like "friendliest,” or "best host/hostess," but also a lot of joke categories including "blog that won't last another year" or "won't stop writing about dating." Consistently I have been voted "most mysterious blogger," and yet I am out there and read.

One passion I have about blogging is that none of us are limited in what we can approach as a topic on our sites. Possessing a blog frees the fingers and the mind. You set the terms, and you set the deadlines. Marshall McLuhan once said that societies have always been shaped more by the nature of the media by which men (and women) communicate, than by the content of the communication. Bloggers work in a new medium involving all participatory senses (well, we need to work on taste, but I am sure there is someone out there licking a screen or a hard drive.) By joining blogging communities, we overlay our individual perceptions and unique voices into a new form of creation.

I am hoping I can bring that same style I have been using for one city, and incorporate it into the interests of another city that I love. Maybe next year, I'll be voted "Boston bigamist blogger."

No comments: